Jabber Instant Messaging at RU¶
Welcome to the Instant Messaging (Jabber/XMPP) at Reykjavik University. This project is being implemented by Joe Foley with support from RU IT.Please register with username.affiliation as your username if you are not an RU student or staff
- RU users: firstname.lastname@example.org should register as foo
- LHI users: email@example.com should register as bar.lhi
- Corporate users: firstname.lastname@example.org should register as bob.marel
- Most IM accounts allow you to register when creating an "identity" in their menus. There is commonly a checkbox on the bottom of the dialog for Jabber/XMPP.
- Register for an account here: https://jabber.ru.is:9091/plugins/registration/sign-up.jsp*
Once you have registered, put these settings in your account following the client directions in the section below:
Once you have installed a client as shown below, you may want to join a conference. This is usually under "Add chat" or "Add a group chat".
- Room: <whatever the room name is>
- Server: conference.jabber.ru.is
On some clients, this shows up as: email@example.com
You also probably want to set "Autojoin"
These client instructions derived from http://tig.csail.mit.edu/wiki/TIG/Jabber(XMPP)InstantMessaging
- Download Adium from http://adium.im and install/drag to Applications.
- From the Setup Wizard, enter:
- "Account type:" XMPP
- "Username:" _username.affiliation e.g. foley or aki.lhi
- "Password:" (your registration password)
- Click OK.
- If you see "Adium can't verify the identity of jabber", click Accept.
If you add the account later, make sure that you give the username without the @jabber.ru.is
otherwise it will not register correctly.
- The following instructions assume that you are using iChat for the first time.
- Open the iChat application (on a fresh Mac OS installation it will be in your dock already). At the first screen, click "Continue".
- At the Account Setup screen...
- "Account Type:" Jabber Account
- "Account Name:" username@server e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- "Password:" (your registration password)
- "Server Options" -- click the disclosure triangle...
- "Server:" jabber.ru.is
- "Use SSL:" YES
- Click "Continue", then "Done".
*To add a new contact ("buddy") to your roster ("buddy list"), click on the "+" button in the main iChat window. To join a conference, select "Go to Chat..." from the File menu, and enter the full Jabber ID of the conference room (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Get to the Add Account screen (click the Add button, or if there isn't one, go to Accounts/Add-Edit)
- Choose "Protocol": XMPP
- Split your account into "Screen name" and "Domain." (e.g., email@example.com will enter Screen name: joe and Domain: jabber.ru.is)
- Enter your password in "Password" and put a check mark next to "Remember password"
- Click "Save."
- You should now be connected. To add a new contact ("buddy") to your roster, go to Buddies/Add Buddy, and enter their localpart (i.e., joe) under "Screen Name". To join a conference, go to Tools/Room List, and click "Get List" followed by "Find Rooms." Select the room you want, then click "Join."
- Spark is very easy to configure. When it starts up for the first time, it will prompt you for the information it requires:
- Under "Username", enter your username (not the full Jabber ID).
- Under "Password", enter your password.
- Under "Server", enter jabber.ru.is
- Click "Login".
- That's it. To add a new contact to your roster, from the menu select "Contacts" => "Add Contact", and type in the contact's Jabber ID e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org. To join a conference, select the "Conferences" tab, then click on the icon that looks like two small balloons (the ToolTip? reads "Join a Conference Room"). Spark will show you a list of public conferences, and you can bookmark conferences you join frequently. To join a conference, simply double click on it. To start a private conference, select "Actions" => "Start a Conference" and enter the Jabber IDs of the users you wish to invite to the conference. (Under "Room" you can change the name of the conference to something more meaningful; by default it's your name with a random string appended.)
Questions, comments, problems to email@example.com
- How to setup SRV records: http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/SRV_Records
_xmpp-client._tcp.ru.is. 86400 IN SRV 5 0 5222 jabber.ru.is. _xmpp-server._tcp.ru.is. 86400 IN SRV 5 0 5269 jabber.ru.is. _stun._tcp.ru.is. 86400 IN SRV 5 0 3478 jabber.ru.is. _stun._udp.ru.is. 86400 IN SRV 5 0 3478 jabber.ru.is. _stuns._tcp.ru.is. 86400 IN SRV 5 0 5349 jabber.ru.is. _turn._tcp.ru.is. 86400 IN SRV 5 0 3478 jabber.ru.is. _turn._udp.ru.is. 86400 IN SRV 5 0 3478 jabber.ru.is. _turns._tcp.ru.is. 86400 IN SRV 5 0 5349 jabber.ru.is.
- Note, the certificate setup is really tricky and a bit of a hack. Talk to Joe to learn more about it.
Admin interfaces for openfire¶
- Admin interface https://jabber.ru.is:9091/
- Admin interface (No SSL) https://jabber.ru.is:9090/
- Samvinna main page https://samvinna.ru.is/
References for jabberd2¶
- Wiki for installation https://github.com/Jabberd2/jabberd2/wiki/InstallGuide